List Building Start Up
Just because you don’t have an email list, don’t despair, because I will help you get started. The main strategy with list building is monetizing your list so that you are recouping any money you have to spend to build your list.
I’ve been in the situation where I had no money, and no list. So when you start out, you may not have the capability to get your own autoresponder account. Out of all the expenses, however, the most important one is your autoresponder. I highly recommend that as soon as you can afford it, that you secure a quality autoresponder. I am not saying this because I am an affiliate of aweber, but because crappy autoresponders are everywhere and most free ones will end up ruining your email list before you get started. If you do not have money to get your autoresponder, go with a free one, but make it a priority to get a good autoresponder as soon as you get some cashflow. It is better to do this early, because I have seen a lot of marketers switch over to aweber from other services and they lost a lot of list members (even though those were not very responsive members if they did not even realize that the marketer was telling them about the change.
New For 2009 Update
If you are going to spend some money on a website (which you really should), then go with GVO Hosting, because with your web hosting account, which is top quality – most of the top Internet Marketers have been using it for years, you get an unlimited autoresponder, a 10 seat virtual conference room for great teleseminars and webinars, a video creation and storage suite and some additional tools that you are going to need like squeeze page templates and video squeeze page templates already designed to work with their autoresponder!
Enough about the autoresponder, just know that you have to have one first. You should have your first 3 emails written and have an idea of what you are going to be promoting first. Many gurus are telling you to work the small niches because there is less competition, but if you think about it, it is because they are trying to get you away from where they are trying to dominate. They are trying to prevent you from competing with them. I don’t recommend you start right off in the Internet Marketing Niche, because it is more difficult to establish yourself as an expert, although it is not entirely impossible once you have a few successes under your belt.
Niches that are profitable are weight loss, health and fitness, pet care, etc. The best way to find out how profitable a niche can be is to go to Affiliate Processors like ClickBank, PayDotCom or Low Stress Income and see how many products are available in a particular niche. Choose your first product, and write your emails about the product and what benefits your subscribers would gain from the use of the product. Many times, purchasing the product yourself is the best way to make an honest review of it, but if you don’t have that kind of money available, do some searches for that product, and you will often find forum posts about a product, and you can get second-hand information that will help you write a good email about the product.
You will need a good affiliate link cloaking method. I recommend you have your own domain. If you need a website to use for this, check out Your Affiliate Tools, the hosting is reasonable, and you get an autoresponder at no additional charge.
- You log in to your cpanel using your username and password. Click on the file manager icon and you navigate to the public_html folder by clicking on the little folder icons next to the name. If you click on the name, you do not navigate to the folder, but you are given options that you can perform on the folder, so avoid doing that.
- Your create a directory that makes sense, like “go”, “goto”, “presents” or “recommends” to place your affiliate links into. The shorter the better and do not include the quotation marks. To do this click on the make new folder link on the right side of the page, and use the navigation method above to show the system where to create the folder (it has to be within the public_html folder).
- Now create another folder within the new folder you have just created and name it something having to do with the product you want to market: loseweightnow or eatless or dietingsucks. Use the same method as above to create the folder, but make sure that it is placed inside the folder you created in step 2.
- Navigate to the folder you created in cpanel. Click on the create a file link. Name your file index.php and when you are in the file editor, paste the following code inside of the editor.< ?php header(“Location:http://YOURAFFILIATELINK”) ?>
- Save the file and test it to see if you are sent to the correct page. If you created a link that looks like this: http://michealsavoie.com/presents/PLG you do not have to type in the index.php because browsers will automatically open that file if it exists.
I will have more for you in another lesson, but go ahead and set this part up and I will have your next lesson in a couple of days.
PS – Check out Easy Button Success for a way to make a killing with your list.